Jockey enters not guilty plea to assault charge
May 8, 2012LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - An attorney for jockey Robby Albarado says the veteran rider is worried his racing career is at risk as he faces an assault charge in Kentucky.
Albarado's attorney, Scott Barton, entered a not guilty plea Tuesday in Jefferson District Court for Albarado. The jockey was arrested Friday and charged with fourth-degree assault for allegedly accosting a woman who said she was trying to break up with him.
Ablarado's arrest came hours before he was to ride in the $1 million Kentucky Oaks, the female version of the Kentucky Derby. He was indefinitely suspended from racing at Louisville's Churchill Downs racetrack, where he's third on the all-time jockey wins list.
Albarado was charged with domestic assault last year in an incident involving his estranged wife, but the charge was dismissed.